Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Book Review: Cellaring Wine

Cellaring Wine: A Complete Guide to Selecting, Building, and Managing Your Wine Collection
By Jeff Cox. Storey Publishing, 2003.

This book turned out to be even better than I had hoped. It is divided up into two parts. In the first part, Cox offers chapters on why collect wine, selecting and acquiring Wine, how wine ages, and cellar size and function. In the second part, he goes about offering advice on constructing and using a wine cellar. Cox is a good writer, so the book is enjoyable to read, and I feel like I have a much better idea of not only how wine ages, but also an approach to constructing a cellar that I had not thought of before. I particularly loved his suggestion of creating mystery cases, ie. filling a case of random wines (which you think might benefit from cellaring) and then only marking when you want to open it. Joy and I want to try this and turn them into mystery wine tasting parties. I've included two of the figures that depict his approach, which he fully details how to construct it. Very pragmatic, nothing fancy to see, just a great way to store the maximum amount of wine in the least amount of space. If you have any thoughts of cellaring wine, I highly recommend this book!

Buy on Amazon: here

See also my post on storing wines: here



No comments: