Wednesday, January 30, 2008

2005 Seven Hills Petit Verdot, McClellan Estate Vineyard

As I have been venturing into the world of wine, this particular one represents a unique moment for me. Certainly, it is my first Petit Verdot, a varietal that is typically blended in a Bordeaux. What struck me is that this wine is not at all representative of my absolute favorite reds, and yet I am able to deeply appreciate it for what it is. Further, one of my primary goals has been to develop my palate, as the truth is you'll never detect black currants if you have no idea what they taste like. That said, the moment I first tasted this Petit Verdot, a number of the great old french bordeauxs I've had recently came rushing to mind because now I understand the distinctive flavor which this varietal contributes. As for the wine itself, the nose is very enjoyable with predominantly dried fruit like raisins. On the palate, there is a subtle fruit balanced with an earthiness and very aggressive tannins. It almost felt like the tannins were pulling the wine across my tongue and down my throat. Very little sweetness or acidity. Definitely should be paired with bold flavored food. I'm very curious how this wine will age, but with its extremely limited release (only 75 cases!), I may never find out. Ultimately, I would recommend it with a 90 rating and for the simple factor that its so rare to find a single vineyard bottling of this varietal.

No comments: