Sunday, September 13, 2009

Simply one of the best valued wines

Last year, based upon its great reviews, I tried the 2006 Pascual Toso Malbec from Maipu Valley in Mendoza, Argentina. And it was quite enjoyable indeed! (my previous review)

Well, when I recently came across the latest 2008 vintage, there was no way I could pass it up. It is not a complex masterpiece (like a well-aged bordeaux), but it is one of the most eminently drinkable medium-bodied wines out there. The nose is full of blackberries and cherries, along with some coffee. The fruit continues to burst forth on the palate. Then there's a nice smooth finish with vanilla coming through. In all, a very tasty and well-balanced malbec. I would also be remiss to add that it went very well with my spaghetti dinner (as I imagine it would go well with most pastas and red meats as is typical for Argentinian malbecs).

One further note. While in 2006, the front label actually indicated that it was from 'Maipu Valley,' the 2008 vintage has dropped it and gone for the more well-known larger region of 'Mendoza Valley' (for marketing reasons I was told).

That said, it is near-impossible to find a better wine for everyday drinking under $10!

No comments: