Saturday, May 17, 2008

2005 Cadence Tapteil Vineyard Red Wine

I tried the 05 Cadence Tapteil Vineyard from Red Mountain (50% Cab, 30% Merlot, 20% Cab Franc), and it really didn't do much for me. I was expecting great things from it (especially when one considers the price ~$50), but was ultimately disappointed. If I had it to do over again, I would have tried opening (and most likely decanting) it several hours before drinking. On the nose, there was predominately berry jam and leather. There was bright fruit on the palate, but I was too distracted by the feeling that the wine wasn't balanced well and too tannic. My hunch is that it will be significantly better after several years of laying down, but honestly, I wont be spending the money to try. Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar gave it a 92, but I would still recommend passing on this one.

UPDATE: After discussing my experience with others, it appears that I just got a bad bottle, and would like to give Cadence another try down the road.

No comments: